Luckily, a C6 Corvette oil change is not rocket science to make yourself crazy. The whole process is quite straightforward, like any other vehicle.
If you want to change the oil in your c6 corvette, here’s a glimpse of what to do:
- Park on a level surface.
- Lift the front.
- Remove the oil drain plug.
- Let old oil drain into a pan.
- Remove the old oil filter.
- Apply oil to the new filter’s gasket and install it.
- Tighten the drain plug and new filter.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Add new oil through the filler cap.
The glimpse is not what we will let you settle for. So, let’s see the whole process in brief!
C6 Corvette Oil Change: Steps To Follow
Although you might need to gather a few gears before you opt for the oil change, the process is quite simple. First, gather the following gears, and then we will move forward with the steps.
- New oil filter
- The right type of engine oil
- Oil drain pan
- Socket wrench and appropriate sockets
- Oil filter wrench
- Jack and Jack stands
Step- 1. Prepare The Vehicle
At first, you need to prepare the vehicle by placing it on a flat surface so it doesn’t move. If you have just used the vehicle, get it some time to cool off the engine. Once the engine is cool to the touch, lift the front of the vehicle using a jack and jack stands or a lift.
Step- 2. Drain Existing Oil
After lifting the vehicle, look at the bottom of the engine oil pan to find the oil drain plug. Then, hold the oil drain pan beneath the oil drain plug to gather the old oil. After placing the pan in the right place, use a socket wrench to remove the oil drain plug. Once the old oil is all cleared out, you need to clean the drain plug and its washer.
Step- 3. Replace The Oil Filter
Now take an oil filter wrench to remove the old oil filter. Then pour a small amount of new oil into the rubber gasket on the new oil filter. Then screw the filter onto the engine and tighten it using the wrench.
Step- 4. Add New Oil
Take the funnel and pour the oil into your oil filler cap on the engine. Then wait a few minutes for it to settle into the oil pan. Once it’s settled, use your dipstick and check the oil level.
Step- 5. Check Again
After adding the new oil, you have to re-check the oil drain plug and oil filter so that they are properly placed. Run your engine for a few minutes to allow the oil to circulate.
Tips For A Safe Oil Change In C6 Corvette
No matter how easy the oil-changing process is, there are a few things that you shouldn’t overlook. So, let’s give you a heads-up on this:
- Safety First: Always remember to keep your vehicle stable before the oil change. Make sure that it doesn’t move before you get underneath the car.
- Old Oil Disposal: Don’t forget to dispose of the old oil and clean the area before you put in the new oil. If you don’t do so, the mixture will abrupt engine performance.
- Properly Tightening The Oil Filter: While attaching the oil filter again, don’t over-tighten it. Over-tightening can make it difficult to remove during the next oil change.
- Lubricate The O-Ring: If you want to make the whole oil-changing process easier next time, lubricate the rubber gasket’s O-ring properly with clean oil. This helps form a good seal and makes it more comfortable to remove the filter.
- Use A New Drain Plug Washer: If you notice that you have been using the old drain plug washer for a long time, it’s better to replace it with a new one during the oil change. This will prevent potential leaks.
SEE MORE: How to Clean K&N Air Filter
What To Do If You Notice Any Leaks?
If you notice leaks after performing an oil change on your C6 Corvette, this might be concerning to look further. But first, you need to inspect the oil drain plug area first. Most leaks occur due to a lack of sealing in that area.
If the leak is coming from the oil drain plug or the oil filter, you need to make sure that they are properly tightened. They shouldn’t be too tight or too loose as over-tightening may damage the threads or gaskets.
Sometimes, any damage in the gasket on the oil filter and the washer on the drain plug may cause leaks. So, if you notice any damage, you need to replace the gasket or washer with a new one.
What Type Of Oil Is Recommended For My C6 Corvette?
The type of oil required for your C6 Corvette may depend on your car’s specific engine type and year. However, C6 Corvettes typically use high-quality engine oils with specific viscosity and performance ratings.
You can find the proper oil usage instruction in your user’s manual. You will find the recommended viscosity and any additional recommendations based on your climate and driving conditions.
Frequently Asking Questions (FAQs)
1. How many liters is a C6 Corvette?
The capacity of the C6 Corvette’s engine varies depending on the specific model and year. The engine sizes range from 5.7 to 7.0 liters.
2. What oil does a C6 take?
The C6 Corvette typically takes high-quality engine oil with a specific viscosity and performance rating. But this can vary on your engine type and year. So, it’s better to read the manual or manufacturer’s recommendation before you buy oil.
3. What Corvette has a 7.0-liter?
The 7.0-liter engine is found in the C6 Corvette Z06 model. It’s a high-performance V8 engine known for its power and capabilities.
4. Can I use synthetic oil in my C6 Corvette?
Yes, you can use synthetic oil in your C6 Corvette. Synthetic oil offers improved high-temperature stability and wear protection, which can be beneficial for high-performance engines like those in Corvettes.
READ NEXT: Corvette C6 Problems
The C6 Corvette oil change doesn’t require much effort. But if you are new to this, make sure that you are implying the necessary safety requirement before you proceed. Also, keep in mind that using the wrong oil type may damage your engine or lower its performance. So, always buy the right type of engine oil according to the manufacturer’s recommendation.
Jack, a living encyclopedia of cars, embodies the spirit of automotive fascination. With an instinctual bond to Corvettes and autos, his expertise flows like a heartfelt conversation. From engines humming to sleek curves, he’s a human bridge to the car world’s soul.